Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Birthday, America

I rarely do linkbacks to other blogs, but I just can't pass this one up. My favorite blogger, Ed Brayton, has perfectly summed up how I feel about America, this great land in which we are blessed to live:

The 4th of July, for me, has very little to do with patriotism or nationalism, feelings that seem to affect me far less than most men. My allegiance is not to the nation, it is to the set of principles upon which the nation was founded. When the government upholds those principles, I offer it praise; when it violates them, I offer my anger and my opposition. Those principles of individual liberty and equality before the law are, in my mind, sacred and inviolable. They are the cornerstone of my view of human civilization; whatever advances them has my support, whatever impedes them my opposition.


His whole post is worth a read, including some fascinating history between Jefferson and Adams that I did not know.

I'm proud to be a member of a country that stands for the ideals ensconsed in our Constitution and the incredible Declaration of Independence. Happy birthday, America.

1 comment:

Denise said...

I read Brayton's words, and he's so very true. For a truly interesting journey into history, any biography on Ben Franklin is worth reading -- the man was remarkable. And when thinking about what Jefferson and Adams came up with, and throw in Hamilton, it's unbelievable how the stars were in the right place to ensure this country started out on the right foot. I'd also recommend "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" by Martin Luther King. Although it is a bit long, his words are incredibly insightful and inspiring. Anything by Jefferson is also a wonderful read as is a biography on Abraham Lincoln. These flawed people worked, failed, succeeded, argued, fought, made up and failed even more to create this country. In a way, it's comforting to know that real people, not bigger-than-life people, wrote the laws that govern us today. Our grandfather thought America was the best country on the planet. I'd have to agree, warts and all.