Thursday, May 04, 2006

Tech Support Rant

In the days before I became a Bubba, I was 100% nerd, working in tech support at Dell. And if there's one thing I learned working in tech support, it's that people are idiots.

Nothing has changed in the last 8 years since I had that job.

The second thing you learn in tech support is that if someone writes in with a problem from an AOL.com address, they're terminal idiots. The third thing you learn is that if someone writes in with a problem from an AOL.com address and they are from New York, they're terminal idiots with a complicating case of being a rude jerk as well.

So of course yesterday I got an e-mail from a woman from New York with an AOL account who was a jerk. Everything is my fault, she couldn't possibly be doing anything foolish, why did I write such a complicated program like HeroMachine, yadda yadda yadda. It's times like this that I really, really appreciate having to deal only with animals out on the farm. At least there the horses' asses are pleasant on their opposite side.

DISCLAIMER: My mother and many fine cousins and aunts are from New York State and are some of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. Many of my immediate family have AOL accounts and are not idiots. It's obviously more of a general rule rather than an absolute, but 9 times out of 10 if you get a complaint from an AOLer from NY they're going to be terminal idiot jerks. Ask anyone in national tech support and they'll back me up on that, I guarantee.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Good thing our mother (who has an AOL account and hails from New York) is in the midst of moving. One of my favorite stories -- a lady calls and asks why we charge for obituaries. "They're already dead -- how can they pay?" My oh my.