Thursday, January 04, 2007

Bob Tilton and the Farting Preacher Videos

Sometime in the mid to late 80's, my sister Donna and I used to sit up late at night watching this televangelist, Robert Tilton, come on TV. He was quite a performer, squinting and jumping and shouting, and the things he said -- oh my. We'd laugh so hard my parents would come out of their bedroom to see what in the hell was going on, thinking we were watching Saturday Night Live or David Letterman or possibly doing drugs -- that's the level of unintentional hilarity we're talking about here.

My favorite was when he'd stop his exhortation (I can't really call them sermons) right in the middle and squint up his eyes, holding up his hand and saying "I know Lord, I know, I'm tellin' 'em right now." Then he'd open his eyes, stare earnestly into the camera and say "That was the Lord Jesus Christ talkin' to me just now," as if he'd gotten Divine Call Waiting or something. We also loved it when he'd break into Tongues right in the middle of the telecast.

Jim Carey should've been taking notes, Tilton was that much of a comedic genius. The fact that he was absolutely serious about the whole thing just made it even funnier.

Some years later, while in college, I came into possession of a video tape of Tilton's greatest moments, all dubbed in with farting noises at opportune moments. I thought I would wet myself, I laughed so hard watching them. I'm talking full on, milk-spurting-out-your-nose, fall out of your chair hilarity. It was, no lie, the funniest thing I had ever seen at that point in my life, and mind you, I'd seen myself naked before.

I naturally loaned the tape to Donna in honor of our shared joy watching Tilton years before, and somewhere along the line the tapes were lost. I was heartbroken. But now, thanks to the wonder of the Internet and the glory of YouTube, I have found the videos once more and can share them with you here.

Without further ado, I bring you Robert Tilton, aka "The Farting Preacher". Even without the farting, you can see why we found him so funny. But, as usual, it's better with the farting. It's always better with the farting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Moses! The running fart nearly killed me! Thanks so much for this.

Rob in Indiana

John said...

ah, I recall the joy of watching that video in Mr. Leimans' apartment, surrounded by the decorating savvy of his "early parent" phase. Not to be outdone, of course, by the "Real Sex" episode with the naked new age men who were giving each other back rubs. "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!"

Oh, the joyous memories.

evildm said...

Aya!
you had my whole damn office on the floor!
Praise the lord!
(Fruumphf)