Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Operator

One of my favorite country moments came shortly after we moved into the old Indian Springs place. Someone in my family needed to get in touch with me, so they called directory assistance for our little zip code.

"Hi, I'm looking for a new listing for Jeff Hebert," my family member said.

"Oh, is that the new couple that just moved in on Indian Springs?" asked the operator. "Into Steve's old place, I think it is, well you tell them welcome and I hope they like it here, sugar, now hang on and let me get that number for you."

I'd like to see that happen in New York City!

2 comments:

Denise said...

That's what we love about this area, too. However, that can sometimes backfire as they know ALL your business. Do you feel welcome there yet, like home-town folk? The other day, I was telling somebody how to get some place, and I actually included a description of a place that burned down a few years ago, the fried chicken joint and the place where that big train wreck happened. I have become countrified.

Denise said...

Oh -- when we first moved here, I called a store in Houston and asked for directions. The guy said, "Get on the Katy Freeway." I said, "What's that?" because I didn't see "Katy Freeway" on the map. "It's I-10," he said. I thought, then why didn't you say so. I told him we'd just moved here from Louisiana, and he said (as God is my witness, this is true), "Oh, then I'll say it again and talk slower." Needless to say, I did not shop there.