Thursday, November 02, 2006

Truth From the Gipper


You and I are told we must choose between a left or right, but I suggest there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down. Up to man's age-old dream - the maximum of individual freedom consistent with order - or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism. Regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would sacrifice freedom for security have embarked on this downward path," - Ronald Reagan, stumping for Barry Goldwater in 1964.


With thanks to Andrew Sullivan (again). He's giving Ed Brayton a run for his money in the "Most Often Linked To By Jeff" sweepstakes. I find it interesting that the two bloggers I respect and read the most are a deist libertarian and a Catholic conservative. Strange. Clearly baby-eating atheist liberals aren't what they used to be. Sigh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Jeff. Ed and Andrew are on my "must read" list. Consequently they end up with a disproportionate number of trackbacks and links from me as well.

Anonymous said...

though i agree with reagan's statement here, let's not forget that he also wanted to build lazers that would shoot missiles in space.

:)

Jeff Hebert said...

I didn't mind the lasers, it was the plan to mount them on the heads of sharks that I thought was really out there. I mean come on, sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads? Get real!

Oh, wait, maybe that was someone else ...