Friday, April 20, 2007

How Can There Be No Limbo When I'm In It?!

I quit my job today without having another job locked down to jump into. Which means that I must respectfully disagree with the Catholic Church's clarification that there's no such thing as Limbo, because I think I'm living there right now.


NOT the kind of Limbo I am in
There's another Big Announcement hopefully coming up next week that's going to make all of this much clearer and less scary, but it's not a done deal yet and so I can't really talk about it. This sort of untethered leap into the great unknown is not something I ever do, and although I feel confident my parachute's going to work with no problems, my heart is still in my throat.

I ought to feel overjoyed, but right now the stress of not having everything on the Other Big Announcement carved in stone technically means I'm just another unemployed schlub. And that's not a good feeling.

So I'm putting my jubilation on hold for hopefully just a few days, and instead am embarking on a stress-eating binge the likes of which haven't been seen since Kirstie Alley met Jenny Craig.

Hopefully I'll have more to report next week, either that I've got a great, fantastic, wonderful Big Announcement to make, or that I've just made the biggest mistake of my life and am rescinding my quitting.

Either way, Limbo's going to have to stay open at least a bit longer, because it doesn't look like I'm leaving for a few days.

4 comments:

Rob Rogers said...

I look forward to hearing some good news from you, Jeff. I've got faith in you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff,
We're all behind you.
The unknown us pretty scary, but I know your "Big Announcement" will come through as planned. Just look at is as a vacation. Sit back, relax & enjoy the ranchito for a few days.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Talk about anticipation!

I always liked the following when stepping up/off into a new edition of living....

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room."

Sic'em!

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

I quit a perfectly good job (okay, it wasn't all that perfect) to move 1100 miles for a job at a startup company back in the dot-bomb days. Scary yet exhilaratingly stuff! The jumping is the hardest part.

Looking forward to hearing about where you land.

Best!