Thursday, January 12, 2006

The NBA in BFE


The Spurs-Pistons NBA game just ended and my team lost (feh). It's only the first or second game I've seen all year, and I discovered that my taste for pro ball has really faded.

It wasn't always like that though. There was a time when my hoops appetite was insatiable. In fact, I watched so much basketball on DirecTV's NBA League Pass that at one point I was on the phone with the network, livid that a Raptors-Grizzlies game wasn't being broadcast. Raptors-Grizzlies! I mean come on, even the fansof those teams wouldn't watch that game, and there I was screaming my head off on the phone because I wanted to see it. Pathetic!

The further I got from city life, though, the less important the NBA became. Several Spurs championships kept it going somewhat, but it was hard to maintain the passion I'd once had. Basketball is mostly a city sport, and I'm not wholly of the city any more. Nowadays, about the only Raptors I get worked up over are the falcons flying overhead, or when I visit Lake Buchanon and watch for eagles.

It does make me a bit nostalgic, though, one more milestone on my journey away from what I once was. I remind myself that I'm also moving towards something, but sometimes it's hard to keep the destination in focus when you realize that where you are is so much different than where you were.

1 comment:

Denise said...

One of my favorite TV shows a couple of years ago was "Everwood." There's a speech given by young Ephram on the show, and I watched it three times to make sure I got the whole speech because it was quite profound for a TV show. Here it is: The more things change, the more they stay the same. I'm not sure who the first person was to say that; maybe it was William Shakespeare or perhaps Sting. But at the moment, it's the line that best explains my tragic flaw: my inability to change. I don't think I'm alone in this. The more I get to know people, the more I realize it's everyone's flaw. Staying exactly the same for as long as possible and standing perfectly still feels better, or at least the pain is familiar if you're suffering. If you took that leap of faith, one outside the box, if you did something unexpected, who knows what other pain might be waiting out there. It could be worse pain, so we maintain the status quo and stay on the road always traveled. It doesn't seem so bad, not as bad as flaws go. You're not a drug addict; you're not killing anybody, except yourself a little. But when we finally do change, it doesn't happen like an earthquake or an explosion or, all of a sudden, we're a different person. I think it's smaller, the kind of thing people wouldn't notice unless they looked really close which, thank God, they never do. But you notice it. Inside, it feels like a world of difference. You finally become the person you're meant to be forever; and you hope you'll never have to change again."

Change isn't easy, but it keeps us vibrant and curious about the world. And they let snakes play in the NBA? Geesh.